Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Big Apple

A few years ago, I started taking my daughters into NYC to have dinner and see a show for their birthdays. Laney's is Sept. 2 and Laurie's is Sept. 11th (yes, her b'day is 9-11!).

Oh, we have so much fun! Laney gets to dress really *chic* and Laurie and I gawk. Last year, Laney's shoes were the fashion statement. They were 3" or 4" spike heels, very pointed toes in a pale magenta-ish color. She wore very cool jeans that accented her toned, lithe, runner's body, her jacket matched her shoes, a big bead necklace accessorized the outfit perfectly. Her hair was styled in a very cute flip at the ends which she dared to move (even her hair obeys). She was stunning! Laurie and I wore, um, um, uh, we were dressed. To this minute I still don't know how she walked the streets of Manhattan with those shoes. To her credit, she didn't utter one word of complaint. It's amazing what one will one endure for the sake of fashion.

This year, we're going again. I am flying up to NJ and will have the tickets to see The Producers waiting for us at the St James Theatre box office. I purchased the tickets and want to tell you about that experience.

________________________________________________

I had a discount code to purchase the tickets and found that I couldn't use the code online. I needed to order the tickets by phone. The orchestra seats that were available for the date we wanted were way in the back and off to the right. I found some good seats in the fourth row of the mezzanine when online and I asked the agent for those.

Agent: Those seats are not available.
Me: I just saw them online.
Agent: There are 100 agents, someone else must have gotten to them.
Me: I see them here on my screen.
Agent: Well, that's the problem, you have them on hold!

I closed the online window and the agent graciously waited for the seats to become available.
I thanked her for her patience - told her how much I appreciated her kindness.

Agent: OK, I have the seats here, they are $101.75 each x 3.
Me: Oh no, I forgot to give you my discount code.
Agent: Oh, that's bad. I have to leave this screen and start over. You may miss the seats afterall.

Now the agent tells me the seats are gone and the best ones she can find are four rows behind.
She tried to find better seats but couldn't - I know she tried because I could hear a series of clicks followed by a "no", "sigh". Frustrated, I finally agreed to the less desirable seats. Then-

Agent: Wait just a minute. I think I have those good seats. Boy, you sure must live right.
Me: You have them, really?
Agent: Yes, I do. They are available. Like I said, you are one lucky lady!
Me: You know, the Bible says that the steps of a man are ordered by the Lord. I believe the Lord went before me and provided those seats for me.
Agent: Yes, He did, because I never saw this happen before. God does things like this to show us His grace is real. This is so much fun, I am enjoying my job today.

I had so much fun, too. We went on to finish the transaction while talking about the goodness of God and the blessings He brings into our lives for no other reason but because He loves us.

God loves you - you are created for His pleasure! Rejoice in that knowledge today, dear one.

5 Comments:

Blogger J-Lynn said...

Oh what a neat conversation!!! I *love* talking to strangers about the Lord. And God sure is Graceful and good to give you guys those seats!!!

LOL@Laney, she's the type of girl I look at and want to hate but then once you know her you *can't* hate her. It's a vicious cycle...LOL Of course I don't hate anyone, but goodness she's beautiful and thin for having 3 children! ;-)

I hope you and Laurie and Laney have a wonderful, wonderful time. You are such an awesome mom. I hope to be like you are when my children are grown. Still making them feel special and loved.

Have a great time! I'd love to see a picture of Laney, Laurie, & yourself on this outing!!!

August 30, 2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the reminder today, I think I needed to hear that. What a blessing it is to read fellow bloggers! :-)
Your outings to N.Y. sound really fabulous!
Thanks for sharing.

August 30, 2005 3:06 PM  
Blogger Laney said...

Umm, I am feeling the need for some correction here, mama.

My shoes are not magenta, as if??, they are taupe snakeskin and only have a two and a half inch heel. I did complain, when you made me *sprint*, in the heels, for the bus. ROFL!!!

I am sooo excited, mom, I can't wait to go, oh, and to see you, of course. :-)

How come I always get the operator who yells at me??

August 30, 2005 3:15 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

This is a great post!
I am glad you got your seats and the chance to share some faith with the operator.

I hope you have a great time and I would love to see pictures of what Laney's wearing this year! ;)

August 30, 2005 11:57 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

I am a bit jealous! I visited NYC for the first time in June and it was fabulous! I love the "feel" of the city. Have a great time with your girls!

Great conversation-what a blessing for both of you!

August 31, 2005 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home