Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Nobody cares about you...

...they only care about their own butt. That's what Laney said when I told her I didn't want to join the gym because I don't like people watching me.
Then she made me call for an appointment to tour the facility, which I did.
Then, she went with me, and brought the grandsons.
Then I signed up! What choice did I have?

In the beginning, I felt like a child whose mother left them in a scary place with strangers. Then I would remind myself of those encouraging words from my daughter "Nobody cares about you, Mom, they only care about their own butt", and I would concentrate on the workout. I found that she was right, people weren't interested in my reflection in those mirrors, they were looking at themselves.

That was more than three years ago.
Since moving to FL last year, I've been walking - and I mean WALKING! And because I left my car in NJ and we only have husband's car, some days I walk 7+ miles to shop, do errands, etc. While walking, I listen to books on tape which I borrow from the library or occasionally call friends and family from my cell phone.
That plan worked fine for the FL winter, when the temperatures are in the mid 70's to mid 80's with low humidity. BUT NOW, in August? Temperatures are in the 90's with the humidity at almost the same degree morning, noon and night. Uggghhh! It's sauna like conditons.

So - I joined another gym. I took advantage of the special family add-on at my husband's gym (he has always belonged to a gym). So now, if I go to the gym with my husband, (which is what he is hoping for) there will be someone there who cares about me - and my butt!

6 Comments:

Blogger Laney said...

I care about you, and your butt!
:-)

Good for you, Mom.

August 17, 2005 11:02 AM  
Blogger CMB said...

I want to move to a warm state so I can walk everywhere! I think you are so funny. I can not get Steve to the gym, maybe if I tell him about the butts, he'll re-think it!

August 17, 2005 12:53 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Awesome- a Grandma who camps with the boys AND works out! What a great example!
Keep it up!

August 17, 2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Hi Jersey girl, I'm glad you came by my blog and left me a comment. the Dish Detergent apron has only been saved by me for about....oh..guessing here...15 years or so. I'd guess the Ladies at the Garden club had some old patterns of it. I think I bought the first one there and made a pattern off of it. I'm impressed with your post about working out at the gym, your original feelings are...gulp...mine. We have a treadmill here at home and I keep saying I'll be faithful but procrastinate.

August 17, 2005 3:31 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

Hi! I don't feel very comfortable at a gym-it feels like I am on display! Besides, I don't like the trouble of driving somewhere to excercise. I started running about 4 weeks ago and I am up to 2 miles in 25 minutes. Not very fast, but much better than before. Admittedly, here in Colorado, if I am out before 7:30 in the AM or after 7:00 PM, the weather in comfy for running. I have an elipitical machine that I use in the winter because I would probably be buried in a snowdrift if I tried excercising outside after the month of December!!!

August 17, 2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Miss Robyn said...

Hi ! found your blog via...hmmm forget now ~ either Kali or Maggieann....
I am a grandma to two grandsons and I admire you for camping with them. My daughter said the same thing when I was worried about going to the gym and having people stare at me...they weren't interested in what I was doing ~ they were so wrapped up in themselves. funny !!
walking is so good for you, I love it but not in the heat...winter here at the moment so I am thoroughly enjoying my walks. My husband and I go to the gym together too... we do lots of pilates and stretching classes.
off to read more of your blog ~ thanks :)

August 18, 2005 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home