Saturday, July 16, 2005

Beach Days

I love the beach. I can sit and watch the ocean for hours (and I do).
It puts me in a good mood. It's a natural "attitude adjustment".
The sound of the breaking waves relaxes me.
I get renewed and refreshed when I am there.
I think about our God who created the oceans and declared them good and that amazes me.

I enjoy watching the birds skimming over the water, spying out food just below the surface, then swooping down and coming up with a fish tail wiggling out of the side of their mouth.

I enjoy watching children look for hermit crabs as the surf recedes. The crabs act as though someone has just opened the door to their dressing room and they run for cover. The kids squeal with delight when they spot one - then audibly sigh with disappointment once it burrows back into the sand.

I like finding sea glass, I pick up the chips and slivers and bring them home to add to my jar. Sometimes pieces are sharp and angled and I throw them back for more time to weather.

I am always on the lookout for unusual shells.

I love the way my feet sink down into the sand when the surf pulls back. I like the feel of the foamy surf sizzling around my feet and ankles.

I love bringing my grandsons to the beach. I began taking John, the oldest, when he was 15 months old. Jeremy, John, and I could easily become beach bums. We take Joe with us once in a while. He exhibits great beach bum potential. Can't wait for baby Tom to join us.
Sometimes I put my chair right at the edge of the surf. There I can relax and keep cool as I watch the boys boogie board or body surf. I even like having to yank my chair out of the sand later.

I love sitting on the beach with my husband. We sit and be quiet together and feel close. We walk along the shoreline and talk. His father taught him how to swim in the ocean as a young boy and he will swim beyond the breakers for a long while and then body surf like a 10 year old. Watching him from my chair or the shore is my form of fun. Sometimes I join him in the water and he makes it his responsibility to keep me afloat above the waves, watching me closely.

I love going to the beach when there is a storm. I am afraid and in awe of the powerful, huge waves. It is fearsome and exciting to watch and listen as the waves pound and crash.

I watch fishermen as they bait their hooks and cast their lines, waiting patiently for a tug on their line as they sidestep waves washing over the jetty. I enjoy watching the dance as they bring in a fish, then the subtle glances to see how many witnessed their success.

Surfers come out when it is high tide. I believe this is something that only looks easy. The paddling they do just doesn't seem worth the short ride. The surfers don't keep my attention for long unless there is one who is very good. By that I mean get up and stay up a while.(The first date I went on with my husband was to see Endless Summer and I fell asleep.)

My son left his job in the city to do what he loves - water, boats, warm weather. He went to Ft. Lauderdale, FL 18 months ago to work on a boat. He is currently the First Mate on a yacht and working toward a Captain's License. He literally lives on the ocean. I think of him when I look out, wondering how he is doing, praying for him, missing him.

I think of the Psalms in which David sings praises to God and tells of His greatness.
"I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty,
And on Your wondrous works." Psalm 145:5
Oh, give thanks to the Lord of lords! For His mercy endures forever.

10 Comments:

Blogger CMB said...

I was so relaxed reading that post. I too love the ocean and the beach. I wish I could live there.

July 17, 2005 10:03 AM  
Blogger Dy said...

I am most certainly not a beach person, but the image you created here sounds heavenly! And how great to have little beach bums in training to go with you.

Dy

July 18, 2005 1:43 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Thank you for this wonderful post. I felt like I was right there with you. I love the beach, & this was a welcome respite for me.

Namaste`

July 18, 2005 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must second (or is that third, fourth, ...) everyone else's comments. We live in CA, about 45 minutes from the beach, and we don't go as often as we would like. Guess you could call it trying to avoid the summer crowds. I know it may sound kind of odd, but I've always felt closest to the Lord at the beach, marveling in His creation; wondering in awe at how the sun rises and sets over that big blue expanse we call the ocean each and every day.
We like to vacation at the Oregon coast each year, and I've spent many a day looking out the windows of the condo we stay in watching the power of ocean storms battering the land and the beach. It is truly amazing.

You have captured the thoughts and feelings of all of us "beach bums" around the country so eloquently with your words, dear friend.
Have a blessed day.

-dawn

July 18, 2005 10:52 AM  
Blogger Laney said...

Hello,Mama!

That was beautiful! The beach would be perfect if it weren't for that pesky sand!

Laney + sand on towel = grrrr

Laney + no sand on towel = ahhhh

Love you!

July 18, 2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I have never had the opportunity to spend time on an ocean beach. The picture you've created here is beautiful and makes me want to go to the coast and dip my toes in!

July 18, 2005 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you that you inspired me. I took my kids to the beach today. We went to Monterey, and the kids built sand castles, while I layed on a blanket and read book 4 of a series I'm working my way through. It's about an Amish family. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

But, ah, it's good to be home. And I think I got a bit too much of sun today. Got a bit of a sunburn on the cheeks. More sunscreen next time.

-dawn

July 19, 2005 8:32 PM  
Blogger J-Lynn said...

I loved this post! I miss the beach so much (I'm in land locked Oklahoma but from Long Island, NY). I feel sad sometimes knowing my kids don't get to experience it like I did.

I went to an open house once and saw a woman decorate sheer curtains with pockets with sea glass. It looked beautiful, especially with the light shining through!

Your'e a wonderful writer!

July 23, 2005 9:56 PM  
Blogger CMB said...

Thank you for your comment - and prayers. I need them. I have looked into school online, but it was real pricey. I am hoping to find a job that will help pay for school. I will keep you posted. Thanks again, you're an angel.

July 24, 2005 10:12 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

I love the beach too, although I am a bit afriad of the water because I can't swim! We moved out of California 12 years ago and whenever we go back to visit, we spend a day there. Someday I would like to visit the beach on the East Coast-I am sure it is wonderful!

July 26, 2005 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home