Monday, September 05, 2005

A beach day?

Yesterday, I felt so lonely. I blogged about it, but I didn't tell my husband because it makes him sad if I'm not happy.

This morning my husband awoke as I was having my quiet time, made himself a cup of coffee, and commented on the weather - we have had rain every day since Katrina blew through here 11 days ago. I told him the Weather Channel said there were 5 feet waves on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale and I thought it would be nice to have breakfast out on the pier and watch the waves. Much to my delight, he said, "why don't we go there now". WOW! I shed my nightgown, put on clothes and grabbed my umbrella in a flash.

This pier is a fishing wharf off the beach which one accesses by walking through the aisle of a small diner. You can choose to sit at the counter inside, or sit at a booth outside where you can have breakfast and enjoy the ocean breeze as well as the view.

Today, however, there was wind spraying rain on the tables, seats and diners which made people go inside but my husband dried off the seats for us and arranged our umbrellas in such a way that we were keeping dry without having our view spoiled. There we sat, having breakfast, drinking coffee, watching surfers ride the big waves. What a way to begin a day!

Now the waitress, who has been there for 34 years, came to the table grumbling about having to dry the tables, napkin holders and salt & pepper shakers for the third time. When I asked if she would serve us, she replied, "If you're willing to sit and eat in the rain, I'll bring it to you".
With that, she took our order, and became quite pleasant, to my surprise.

After she served us refills on our coffee, she sat down next to me and said "There's something I have to know. Are you two married?"
"Yes, we are", I replied.
"Well, usually only single people will do this. Married men will say, 'What, are you crazy, it's raining' and won't go out."
"Oh, he's a special guy", said I.
He is, isn't he?
"The Lord remembers us and will bless us." Psalm 115:12

6 Comments:

Blogger J-Lynn said...

Yeah, I don't think my husband would eat in the rain. Maybe when he's more "seasoned" in life? :-)

You have a wonderful husband and I'm glad you're not feeling quite so lonely anymore. Now I'm going to go and read that entry...lol

Hugs, hope it's sunny again soon!

September 06, 2005 11:40 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Wow! What a guy! I know without-a-doubt that Derick would never sit out and eat in the rain! It's too bad, really...

I am glad you are feeling better today.

September 06, 2005 3:13 PM  
Blogger CMB said...

That is such a beautiful story! I am glad you are feeling better.

September 06, 2005 5:32 PM  
Blogger Donna Boucher said...

I like the scriptures you choose :o)

Donna

September 06, 2005 7:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is wonderful you got to go to breakfast! I love those spur of the moment meals out! They are cherished times. I am pretty sure that my husband would sit outside with me if I wanted to, he loves to be outside no matter what the weather may be. :-)

September 06, 2005 8:32 PM  
Blogger Dy said...

I love this story. I think it's common for us to say "no" to things in life, just because it's easier to say no: to God's callings, to the children, to sitting in the rain. But when we say no, we miss out on the real beauty in so many things.
Dy

September 06, 2005 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home